Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 

Please note: This information is accurate as of January 2021. For up-to-date information on study permits, please refer to the Immigration and Citizenship website from the Government of Canada. 

What documents do I need to provide prior to studying in Canada?

You will need to provide:
    i) a valid passport to apply for a study permit,
    ii) admission letter from Corpus Christi College,
    iii) proof of funds adequate to support you in Canada,
    iv) a valid study permit, and
    v) a temporary resident visas (TRV) and electronic travel authorization (ETA).

All international students in programs longer than 6 months need a valid study permit. Applications for a study permit can take up to 3 months, so apply as soon as possible. You are responsible for ensuring your study permit is valid at all times. Review study permit processing times and required documents for your study permit application. In addition, only citizens of certain countries require a TRV, also known as an entry visa. Check the IRCC website to see if you need a valid TRV to travel to Canada. If you are from a TRV-exempt country, you may need to apply for an eTA before you can travel to Canada.

I am a new student. Can I apply for my study permit now? 

Yes. As soon as you are admitted to Corpus Christi College, you should apply online for an initial study permit so that you are in the queue for processing. After you apply, you may be asked to submit biometrics (photo and fingerprints), complete a medical exam, or provide other documents which may not be possible to do right now, but we are confident that Immigration will account for these delays and will process study permits as quickly as possible. The current travel restrictions will not prevent your study permit application from being processed.

On July 14, IRCC announced a new two-stage study permit process for students starting in the spring, summer, or fall of 2020 who have not been able to submit all documents due to COVID-19 related closures. It is also possible to get the two-stage study permit approval if you are starting in Winter Term 2 (January-April 2021). You will first get an approval-in-principle, then a final decision after you are able to submit all remaining documents.

I am a new student and my program starts in Summer or Fall 2021. Can I take courses online from my home country? 

International students do not need a study permit to legally start a program from outside of Canada; however, you will need one to begin studying in Canada once you are able to travel. We strongly recommend that you begin your study permit application process as soon as you can.

On August 26, 2020, IRCC updated their information for international flights during COVID-19. The new measures allow students to count the time spent pursuing their studies online abroad toward their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit, if they submit a study permit application before the program starts and they cannot travel to Canada. To remain eligible for a PGWP, you may complete up to 50% of your studies online for most programs. The rest of your program must be completed in Canada. Students in programs that are 8-12 months starting in May or September 2020 may be eligible to complete more than 50% online. For full details, see how your PGWPP eligibility is affected.  

I am a new student and my study application is still in process. What should I do? 

IRCC continues to process applications submitted online, even if the Visa Application Centre in your country may be closed. On July 14, 2020, IRCC announced temporary policy changes to facilitate online learning for international students.

Check with your local Visa Application Centre for details on your application and make sure to keep up to date on COVID-19 updates in your country and in Canada. A study permit is not required to take online courses from abroad. Students can count the time spent pursuing their studies online abroad toward their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit, if they submit a study permit before the program starts. For full details, see how your PGWP eligibility is affected.

Are there scholarships that I can apply for as an international student?    

Currently we don’t have scholarships for international students.

What are the housing options as an international student? 

As an international student at Corpus Christi College, you can either stay at the Carey Centre or at St. Andrew’s Hall, located just steps away from the College. The cost to live at the Carey Centre is $12,950 plus a $300 refundable damage deposit. The cost to live at St. Andrew’s Hall varies. For a co-ed quad, it is $936/month; for a studio, it is $1,282/month; for a one-bedroom, it is $1,449/month; for a two-bedroom, it is $2,229/month, and for a townhouse (2 bedroom + den), it is $2,048/month.

Please note that these costs are reflective of the Fall 2021 term. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the links below:  

map Our Programs
90+ courses in Arts, Business, and Science

See what Corpus has to offer...